Friday, August 10, 2012

The Joys of Packing

Nothing has a way of making a person feel older than sorting out junk (er...um treasures) that were put in boxes sometime in the last century.   Like running across an old application that had the following request:


I actually brought a manual typewriter to college! Not all was trailing edge of technology; most of my papers were printed on a state of the art “dot matrix” printer. 

Other signs that I am from another century:

·         I actually have slides (not power point…slides) that I took!

·         I have more cassette tapes than CDs, let alone MP3s! Still need to hand a cassette to my kids and see if they can figure out how to play it (makes me feel better about the fact I can’t work the TV half of the time)

Things that I can’t throw away:

Maybe it is me, but there are just certain things that I find difficult to throw away:

·         Pennies??? I get to the bottom of some box and there are paper clips, random business cards, pens, miscellaneous hardware, and some old candy. I can dump all of that into a trash can without blinking…except when there are pennies.  There may only be 3, with some type of green stuff growing on them, now I have to sort through it all and pick out the pennies.  WHY IS THIS?

·         Bibles- I don’t think I am superstitious, but I simply have a hard time throwing away Bibles.  Do you bury them, or put them into jars and leave them in a cave?  At some point I’ll have to accept the fact that my copies aren’t the original manuscripts.

·          Thanks to Pixar, I can’t even throw away my kids toys because there is a Woody doll in the box!
I still remember the days when I could fit everything that I owned into a Chevrolet Chevette, and complete the task in less than 10 minutes.  It was good thing, because the time I saved in packing was lost during the painstakingly slow drive offered by the 70 horsepower engine…probably was for the better not to have the option of getting a speeding ticket during my college days. 
Gone are the days when it takes 10 minutes to pack

No comments: